If you have been arrested for driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol or drugs, you may be facing serious consequences such as fines, jail time, license suspension, and a criminal record. However, you don’t have to accept these outcomes without a fight. A lawyer can help you fight a DUI charge and protect your rights and interests. Please continue reading and reach out to a dedicated Allegheny County DUI lawyer from the Law Offices of George Heym to learn more about how a DUI attorney can help fight your charges.
How can a lawyer help fight my DUI charge?
The attorney you choose to represent you when facing a DUI charge is an incredibly important decision. Depending on the circumstances of your case, your lawyer may work to keep illegally or improperly obtained evidence out of court, such as defective breath test results, negotiate with the prosecutor to have your charges reduced, or, in the best case, fight to have your charges dropped altogether.
What are the most common defenses against DUI charges?
The strategy your lawyer uses to defend you against your DUI charge will depend largely on the circumstances of your individual case, however, a short list of some of the most common defenses against DUI charges is as follows:
- Lack of reasonable suspicion or probable cause for the stop or arrest
- Violation of your constitutional rights during the stop or arrest
- Entrapment or coercion by the police
- Necessity or duress for driving under the influence
- Mistake of fact or law
- Improperly administering field sobriety or breathalyzer tests
- Improperly interpreting breathalyzer test results
- Failing to acknowledge an individual’s medical condition that affects their ability to pass a field sobriety test
- Proving that you were forced to drive while under the influence of alcohol by another party, i.e. duress
Of course, these are just some of the most common defenses against DUI charges, and ultimately, if you’re accused of driving while intoxicated, you need to act now. A DUI conviction can have serious and lasting consequences on a person’s life, which is why if you’re currently facing DUI charges, you must hire a knowledgeable and dedicated attorney who can aggressively combat your charges at every turn.
If you have any further questions you need a lawyer you can depend on, contact the Law Offices of George Heym today so we can help you with your DUI case.